CV and Research Papers – M Subhan Qureshi, Chief Patron DSP
Qualifications: DVM, MSc Hons, PhD (Theriogenology) (UA Faisalabad)
Position: Chief Patron Dairy Science Park, A2, Industrial Estate Hayatbad, Peshawar-25000, Pakistan/Ex-Dean FAHVS, University of Agriculture, Peshawar/Adjunct Professor, Charles Sturt University, Australia
Research and Development: After getting DVM degree from UVAS Lahore, joined Livestock Department, Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Pakistan during 1983 as Veterinary Officer (Health) and worked on semen processing, farm management, feeding and health coverage. Worked at Civil Veterinary Hospital and provided therapeutic and immunization services to the incoming animals. Worked as Senior Research Officer on Herd Health Program and registered buffalo farms for applied research and extension services; analyzed the prevailing practices of feeding, health and reproductive management, introduced good practices and organized the farmers into Sarhad Dairy Farmers Association, facilitating them for availing services of various research, development, marketing and financial institutions. Completed master and doctoral degrees and published a report on mismanaged livestock sector, loosing an export potential of US$ 20 billion at national level. The two successive Chief Ministers endorsed the Chief Minister Development Plan prepared by the author.
Academic excellence: Joined the University of Agriculture, Peshawar as full professor and served as Dean for two tenures. I have been working as HEC representative at PVMC and member of several professional bodies. Engaged in Teaching, Research and Industrial Linkage in animal health, reproduction, entrepreneurship and biorisk management; supervised PhD students 19, MPhil 84; subjects taught Reproductive Physiology; Livestock Industry; Stress Physiology; research projects completed 6; research publications in impact factor journals 53; books/chapters published 15, including a book on Reproductive Physiology published by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan.
Functionalized the UAP Univ Feed Mill under a lease arrangement through as private partner. Successfully introduced the feed at private dairy farmers in Peshawar and adjacent districts, competing with other feed manufacturers, based upon the best prices and quality. Initiated research on physiological base of animals’ productivity and stress physiology/animals welfare and tailored the postgraduate studies and research and development projects into these priorities. Motivated the faculty members and students for winning research grants to respond to the local problems and explore business and industrial aspects of livestock and poultry production.
Academia-Government-Industry/International Linkages: Dairy Science Park (Park/DSP) has been introduced as a sacred mission for welfare of people of the Region through generation of self employment and hygienic/Halal food production. The Park has been registered as a Society with the Government of KP, Pakistan and accepted by the United Nations as #UNSDGAction9671. In line with the vision of the Higher Education Commission, the business incubation concepts were integrated into postgraduate research ongoing at the Faculty, shaping up the University – Industry linkages. A biennial series of international workshops was initiated and it continued during November, 2011, 2013 and 2015, each by 450+ delegates, with 100+ technical papers and industrial exhibition. The proceedings were published online/printed and in impact factor journals. The 1st workshop focused on post-flood revival of dairy industry, the 2nd on meat potential of the region and the 3rd on entrepreneurship development for the outgoing graduates. The fourth conference has been scheduled for Turkey during November, 2017.
A road map has been prepared for developing the livestock and poultry production setup into a Halal meat export base. The plan is aimed at introducing good practices into livestock SMEs, enabling them to generate maximum income for the producers and hygienic food for the consumers. Feasible models are being developed for entrepreneurship development for the outgoing graduates. DSP has got support of the provincial Agriculture Minister, Special Assistants to Chief Minister KP on Law and Livestock. The United States Department of State’s Biosecurity Engagement Program has been supporting DSP under a Biorisk Management Collaboration. Four consultative workshops have been held in Amsterdam, Dubai, Bangkok and Puket, participated by 43 members of DSP for curriculum development and integration of biorisk management concept into the food value chain. Letter of Intent was signed with the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences Beijing for industrial collaborative research. Research papers were presented in many countries and the fourth international conference on Dairy Science Park was organized at Turkey, jointly with Selcuk University, Konya.
Emerging industries in milk and meat processing and marketing have been provided technical and Quality Control certification support to relieve legal threats from the District Administration, who focus on price capping of milk and meat rather than quality. Meat shops established on modern lines of hygiene produce quality beef with a sound level of investment have to sell their products at relatively higher prices. Such facilities are raided by the government agencies on the basis of higher prices. The DSP teams visit such facilities and inspect the quality of animals, slaughtering, processing, packaging and storage facilities, provide SOP for quality standards and issue a certificate. Similar services are being extended to private slaughter houses and meat/milk processing centers and other emerging entrepreneurs.
Policy development/reforms plan : The Senior Minister KP, Mr Inayatullah Khan has agreed on establishment of DSP Board, under an Act of the Provincial Assembly, comprising Quality Control Laboratory Complex, Business Incubation Center, Halal Research Center and an Endowment Fund. The Chief Secretary KP has declared DSP as an innovative idea and is under consideration for approval through a Task Force. The Ex-Chief Minister KP, Mr Akram Khan Durrani supported the Park and recommended establishment of the University of Veterinary Innovations and Commercialization with up-gradation of the existing Faculty of AHVS, UAP establishment of additional facilities like slaughter houses, livestock markets and entrepreneurship models. The Higher Education Commission has accepted the Park as a Center of Excellence.
These efforts were recognized through Best University Teacher Award 2011 (HEC) and Research Productivity Award 2012 (PCST), selection as Dean for two tenures, membership of various local and international organizations/committees and acceptance of DSP as UN-SDG-Action-9671.
Impact Factor Journals
The following table gives access to the research papers uploaded at this site while the list of pubilcation gives access to the original source of publications.
List of publications
- Qureshi MS, 1995. Conventional Buffalo Farming System in NWFP Pakistan. Buffalo Bulletin, 14 (2): 38-41.
- Qureshi MS, F Malik and M Amjad and SA Khan, 1997. Incidence and chemotherapy of gastrointestinal nematodes in dairy buffaloes in the north-western valley of Pakistan. Buffalo Bulletin, 16 (3): 56-59.
- Qureshi M.S, H.A. Samad, G. Habib., R.H. Usmani, M.M. Siddiqui, 1999. Study on factors leading to seasonality of reproduction in dairy buffaloes. I. Nutritional factors. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci, 12 (7): 1019-1024.
- Qureshi M.S.; G. Habib., H.A. Samad, A. Lodhi, R.H. Usmani, 1999. Study on factors leading to seasonality of reproduction in dairy buffaloes. II.Non-nutritional factors. Asian Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12 (7): 1025-1030.
- Qureshi MS, G Habib, G Nawab, MM Siddiwqui, N Ahmad and HA Samad, 2015. Milk Progesterone Profiles in Various Reproductive States in Dairy Buffaloes under Field Conditions. Natl. Sci. Counc. ROC(B) Vol. 24, No. 2, 2000. pp. 70-75.
- Qureshi M.S., G. Habib, H.A. Samad, M.M. Siddiqui, N.Ahmad, M. Syed, 2002. Reproduction-nutrition relationship in dairy buffaloes. I. Effect of intake of protein, energy and blood metabolites levels. Asian-Aust. J Anim Sci, 15(3): 330-339.
- Chand N., F.R.Durrani, M.S.Qureshi, Z.Durrani, 2007. Role of Berberis lycium In Reducing Serum Cholesterol In Broilers. Asian Aust J. Anim. Sci. 20 (4): 563-568.
- Qureshi M.S., S. Khan and N. Ahmad, 2007. Pregnancy depresses milk yield in dairy buffaloes. J. Anim. Sci., 6 (Suppl. 2): 1290-1293.
- Qureshi M.S., N.Ahmad, 2008. Interaction among calf suckling, use of oxytocin, milk production and reproduction in dairy buffaloes. Animal Reproduction Science, 106: 380-392. doi:1016/j.anireprosci.2007.05.019.
- Khan S, MS Qureshi, N Ahmad, M Amjed, FR Durrani, M Younas, 2008. Effect of Pregnancy on Lactation Milk Value in Dairy Buffaloes. Asian Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 21(4): 523-531.
- Khan S, MS Qureshi, N Ahmad, M Amjed, M Younas, 2009. Feed Supplementation Prevents Decline in Milk Progesterone Levels associated with Post-conception Production Stress in Dairy Buffaloes. Tropical Animal Health and Production, 41: 1133-1142.
- Khan S, MS Qureshi, G. Habib, A Mushtaq, Ihsanullah, S Ahmad, SM Sohail and SS Afridee, 2009. Effect of pregnancy on lactation performance in dairy buffaloes. Pak J Zool., Sup. No.9. 55-60.
- Sohail, S.M., M.S. Qureshi, S Khan, G Habib, 2009. Relationship among various production and reproduction Contributors of Breeding Efficiency in Dairy Buffaloes of Pakistan. Pak J Zool., Sup. No.9, 297-301.
- Qureshi, M.S., 2009. Nutritional and Management Support to Reproduction in Dairy Buffaloes. Pak J Zool, Sup. 9: 895-909.
- Khan, S., MS Qureshi, SM Shah, SM Sohail, Ihsanullah, A. Rahman, 2009. Effect of pregnancy on milk yield and composition in buffaloes. Pak J Zool, Sup.9-II: 669-673. Cited 1
- Qureshi MS, A Mushtaq, S Khan, G Habib, ZA Swati, 2010. Variation in milk fatty acids composition with body condition in dairy buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis). Asian Aust J Anim Sci, 23: 340-345. Cited 1
- Ullah I, A Iqbal, I Ali, I Munir, E Ali, SJ Shah, N Ullah, SAK Bangash, ZA Swati and MS Qureshi, 2011. Role of dietary supplementation in the protein content of bovine milk. African J Biotech, 10 (18), 3624-3627.
- Chand N, FR Durrani, MS Qureshi, D Muhammad, Z Rehman, 2011. Protective effects of milk thistle (Silybum marianum) against aflatoxin B1 in broiler chicks. Asian Aust J Anim Sci. 24: 7 : 1011 – 1018. doi: 10.5713/ajas.2011.10418.
- Khan S, MS Qureshi, Ahmad, SM Shah, 2011. Milk Composition and Yield Changes with the Advancing Pregnancy in Dairy Buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis). Turkish J Vet Anim Sci, 2011; 35(6): 375-380. doi:10.3906/vet-0811-15.
- Hussain T, M Arshad, I Jan S Khan, H Sattar, MS Qureshi, 2011. In Vitro Screening Of Ten Pakistani Plants For Their Antibacterial Activity. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 43 (1): 531-538.
- Lutfullah G, T Akhtar, I Ahmad, MMAK Khattak, FR Durrani and MS Qureshi, 2011. Effects of Probiotic on the Intestinal Morphology with Special Reference to the Growth of Broilers. J Chem Soc Pak, 33 (1), 129-133.
- Khan S, MS Qureshi, M Younas, Rafiullah and M Inam, 2012. Modelling And Management Of Post-Conception Decline In Milk Yield Of Dairy Buffaloes. J Anim Plant Sci, 22 (2 Suppl.): 5-11.
- Aftab M, A Rahman, MS Qureshi, S Akhter, U. Sadique, A Sajid1 and S. Zaman, 2012. Level Of Salmonella In Beef Of Slaughtered Cattle At Peshawar. J Anim Plant Sci, 22 (2 Suppl.): 24-27.
- Sajid A, Z I Chaudhary, U Sadique, A Maqbol, MA Anjum, MS Qureshi, ZU Hassan, M Idress, M Shahid, 2012. Prevalence Of Goatpox Disease In Punjab Province Of Pakistan. J Anim Plant Sci, 22(2Suppl.): 28-3.
- Qureshi MS, 2012. Stress Impedes Reproductive Physiology Of Dairy Animals Under Subtropical Conditions. J Anim Plant Sci, 22 (2 Suppl.): 75-78.
- Qureshi SS, M Jamal, MS Qureshi, M Rauf, BH Syed, M Zulfiqar and N Chand, 2012. A Review Of Halal Food With Special Reference To Meat And Its Trade Potential. J Anim Plant Sci, 22 (2 Suppl.): 79-83.
- Sadique U, ZI Chaudhry1, MY Rana and AA Anjum, MS, M Idrees ZU Hassan, M Mushtaq, A Sajid, 2012. Clinico-pathological study of Contagious Caprine pleuropneumonia CCPP) in Small Ruminants. J Anim Plant Sci, 22 (2 Suppl.): 2012, Page: 45-50.
- Khan S, N Ishikawa, T Hattori, A Tajima, MS Qureshi, 2012. Effect Of Pregnancy On Body Hair Growth In Dairy Cattle. J Anim Plant Sci, 22 (2 Suppl.): 2012, Page: 87-91.
- Usman T, G Guo, SM Suhail, S Ahmed, L Qiaoxiang, MS Qureshi, Y Wang, 2012. Performance Traits Study Of Holstein Friesian Cattle Under Subtropical Conditions. J Anim Plant Sci, 22 (2 Suppl.): 92-95.
- Khan R, MS Qureshi, A Mushtaq, Ghufranullah, A Naveed, 2012. Effect Of Quality And Frequecy Of Drinking Water On Productivity And Fertility Of Dairy Buffaloes. J Anim Plant Sci, 22 (2 Suppl.): 96-101.
- Qureshi MS, S Jan, A Mushtaq, I Rahman, M Jan, Ikramullah, 2012. Effect of age on milk fatty acids in dairy buffaloes. J Anim Plant Sci, 22 (2 Suppl.): 108-112.
- Rehman ZU, MU Samo, TA Qureshi, S Khan, MS Qureshi, FA Khan, S Bahadadr, 2012. Studies On The Freezability Of Kundhi Buffalo Bull Semen. J Anim Plant Sci , 22 (2 Suppl.): 18-23.
- Khan RU, S Naz, Z Nikousefat, V Tufarelli, M Javdani, MS Qureshi, V Laudadio, 2012. Potential applications of ginger (Zingiber officinale) in poultry diets. World’s Poultry Sci J, 68, 245-252. doi: 10.1017/S004393391200030X.
- Tanweer AJ, N Chand, S Khan, MS Qureshi, A Akhtar, M Niamatullah, 2012. Impact Of Methanolic Extract Of Peganum Harmala On The Weight Gain, Feed Conversion Ratio, Feed Cost And Gross Return Of Broiler Chicks. J Anim Plant Sci, 22 (2): 264-267.
- Mushtaq A, MS Qureshi, S Khan, G Habib, ZA Swati, SU Rahman, 2012. Body condition score as a marker of milk yield and composition in dairy animals. J Anim Plant Sci, 22 (Sup 3): 169-173.
- Usman T, G Guo, SM Suhail, MS Qureshi, Y Wang, 2012. Estimation of genetic parameters of reproductive and milk yield traits using multiple-trait animal model in Holstein under subtropical conditions. J Anim Vet Adv, 11 (17): 3132-3139.
- Tomovska J, S Presilski, SPN Gjorgievski, N Tomovska, MS Qureshi and NP Bozinovska, 2013. Development of a spectrophotometric method for monitoring angiotensin-converting enzyme in dairy products. Pak Vet J, 34 (1): 14-18.
- Qureshi MS, D Khan, A Mushtaq, SS Afridi, 2013. Effect of extenders, post-dilution intervals and seasons on semen quality in dairy goats. Turkish J Vet Anim Sci. 37: 147-152. DOI: 10.3906/vet-1110-24.
- Khan MT, NA Khan, M Bezabih, MS Qureshi and A Rahman, 2013. The nutritional value of peanut hay (Arachis hypogaea L.) as an alternate forage source for sheep. Trop Anim Health Prod. 45:849–853, DOI 10.1007/s11250-012-0297-8.
- Tanweer AJ, N Chand, S Khan, A Sultan, MS Qureshi, A Akhtar, M Inam and Rafiullah, 2013. Association of Peganum harmala L. Supplementation with lipid Profile and its Economic Benefit in Broiler Production. Pak Vet J, 33(3): 313-316.
- Rahman FU, MS Qureshi and RU Khan, 2014. Effect of Soybean Based Extenders on Sperm Parameters of Holstein-Friesian Bull During Liquid Storage at 4ºC. Pakistan Zool., 46 (1): 185-189.
- Ali T, A Rahman, MS Qureshi, MT Hussain, MS Khan, S Uddin, M Iqbal and B Han, 2014. Effect of management practices and animal age on incidence of mastitis in Nili Ravi buffaloes. Trop Anim Health Prod, 46(7):1279-85. Doi. 10.1007/s11250-014-0641-2.
- Rahman HU, MS Qureshi, R Khan, 2014. Influence of dietary zinc on semen traits and seminal plasma antioxidant enzymes and trace minerals of Beetal bucks. Reproduction in Domestic Animals, 49 (6), 1004–1007; doi: 10.1111/rda.12422.
- Rahman A, MY Khan, O Sadiq, MS Qureshi, Nr Ahmed, N Shaheen, S Uddin, T Ali. Washing Of Animal Body Coat Effects On Salmonella Load On Hide And In Postslaughter Carcasses. Sylwan, 159 (3): 400-415.
- Qureshi MS, A Mushtaq, S Jan and IU Rahman, 2015. Effect of Age and Lactation on Milk Fatty Acid Profile in Dairy Buffaloes. Buffalo Bulletin, 34 (3): 275-283.
- Majid A, MS Qureshi and R Khan, 2015. “In vivo adverse effects of high dose of alpha-tocopherol on the semen quality of male bucks“. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition, 99 (5): 841–846. DOI: 10.1111/jpn.12284.
- Wahab A, H Khan, S Ahmad, MS Qureshi, Y Muhammad, S Khan, U Sadique and MK Shah, 2016. Biochemical Profile of Local Rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) During Successful Pregnancy Under Backyard Production System. Pakistan J. Zool, 48 (3):625-630.
- Chand N, H Faheem, RU Khan, MS Qureshi, IA Alhidary and AM Abudabos, 2016. Anticoccidial effect of mananoligosacharide against experimentally induced coccidiosis in broiler. Env Sci Pollution Res, 23 (14): 14414–14421. DOI: 10.1007/s11356-016-6600-x.
- Khan I, MS Qureshi, S Akhtar, I Ali and Ghufranullah, 2016. Fertility Improvement in Cross-Bred Dairy Cows Through Supplementation of Vitamin E as Antioxidant. Pakistan Pak J. Zool., vol. 48(4): 923-930.
- Khan I, MS Qureshi, S Ahmad, S Akhtar, H Khan and Ghufranullah, 2016. Effect of Lactation and Breed on Reproductive Cyclicity Under Various States of Oxidative Stress in Dairy Cattle Breeds. Pak J. Zool., 48 (5): 1431-1441.
- Qureshi MU, MS Qureshi, R Khan, A Rahman, SM Sohailb, A Ijaz, I Ahmad, S Ahmad, M Shoaib and A Basit, 2016. Relationship of blood metabolites with reproductive cyclicity in dairy cows. Indian J Anim Res. 50(3): 338-348.
- Rehman H, IA Alhidary, RU Khan, MS Qureshi, U Sadique, H Khan, and SH Yaqoob, 2016. Relationship of Age, Breed and Libido with Semen Traits of Cattle Bulls. Pak J. Zool., 48 (6), 1793-1798.
- Khan H, M Khan, MS Qureshi, S Ahmad, A Gohar, H Ullah, F Ullah, A Hussain, P Khatri, SSA Shah, H Rehman and A Khan, 2017. Effect of Green Tea Extract (Camellia sinensis) on Fertility Indicators of Post-Thawed Bull Spermatozoa. Pakistan J Zool, 49 (4): 1243-1249.
- Ihsanullah, MS Qureshi, SM Suhail, S Akhtar, RU Khan, 2017. Postpartum endocrine activities, metabolic attributes and milk yield are influenced by thermal stress in crossbred dairy cows. Int J Biometeorol, DOI 10.1007/s00484-017-1335-z.
- Khan S, Qureshi MS and RU Khan. The Effect of vitamin E and Selenium on physiological, hormonal and antioxidant status of Damani and Balkhi sheep submitted to heat stress. Applied Biological Chemistry (in press)
- Chand N, S Naz, H Maris, RU Khan, S Khan and MS Qureshi, 2017. Effect of Betaine Supplementation on the Performance and Immune Response of Heat Stressed Broilers Pakistan J. Zool., 49(5): 1857-1862. PDF
- Khan MZ, T Usman, U Sadique, MS Qureshi, MF Hassan, M Shahid and A Khan, 2017. Molecular Characterization of Brucella abortus and Brucella melitensis in Cattle and Humans at the North West of Pakistan. Pak Vet J, 37(3): 360-363.
- Rehman ZU, N Chand, RU Khan, S Khan and MS Qureshi, 2018. An Assessment of the Growth and Profitability Potential of Meat-Type Broiler Strains under High Ambient Temperature. Pak J. Zool., 50(2): 429-435.
- Saqib MN, MS Qureshi and RU Khan, 2018. Changes in postpartum metabolites and resumption of ovarian cyclicity in primiparous and multiparous dairy cows. Applied Biological Chemistry, p: 1-5.
- Khan IM, RU Khan, MS Qureshi, T Usman, A Khan, Z Ullah and H Rehman, 2017. Cross Breeding Promotes Deterioration of Semen Quality in Cattle Bulls. Pak J. Zool., 50, Iss. 1, pp 97-103.
- Abubakar M, AB Zahur, K Naeem, MA Khan and MS Qureshi, 2018. Field and Molecular Epidemiology of Peste des Petits Ruminants in Pakistan. Pakistan J. Zool., 50 (2): 559-566.
- Ullah A, US Khattak, S Ayaz, MS Qureshi, I Khan, IU Jan, I Khattak, R Taj, S Nigar, NU Khan, MA Khan and ML Sohail, 2019. Bovine Tuberculosis (bTB): Prevalence and Associated Risk Factors in Large Ruminants in the Central Zone of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. Pak J Zool, 51(1), 127-133.
HEC Recognized Journals
- Khan, Nadar 2018; Effect of dietary energy levels; J Etomol Zool Studies, 2018; 6(1): 1427-1430
- Khan, Inamullah et al, 2016; valuation of Brucellosis as a Public Health Hazard; Meat Sci Vet Public Health, 1(1): 11-16.
Citations in impact factor journals
- Total Articles in Publication List: 57
- Articles With Citation Data: 55
- Sum of the Times Cited: 284
- Average Citations per Article: 5.16
- h-index: 9
- Last Updated: 03/03/2019 18:23 GMT