Livestock Policy for KP finalized
A meeting was held at the University of Agriculture Peshawar to finalize the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Livestock Policy prepared by Prof Dr Muhammad Saleem Chaudhry on advise of the ruling party. The meeting was hosted by the Dairy Science Park and participated by representatives of the Director Generals Livestock and Dairy Development Department (Extension and Research Wings), Dean FAHVS, The University of Agriculture Peshawar and the private sector represented by the Dairy Science Park. The education and private sectors were represented as follows:
Issues of Livestock Sector in KP
- Livestock assets worth Rs.1.08 trillion could not benefit the people appropriately
- Marketing dead animals and toxic milk and food of unknown Halal status
- Slaughter houses/poultry butchers delivering meat contaminated with dung, flies, cats and dogs
- Threat to public health
- Rising level of unemployment
- Price capping of livestock products restricts industrialization
- Utilization of medium sized farms for entrepreneurship, technical, financial, marketing and regulatory support to these units is not included in the Mandate of any government or the University
- Private companies are selling meat/milk items of unknown quality and Halal status, at inappropriate rates
- Input suppliers are grabbing the major share of farmers’ produce and deliver low quality inputs
- Live bird/livestock transportation and marketing in open places and vehicles contaminate the environment and present a dirty picture of Peshawar and Muslim
- Restaurants do business with no check for hygienic or Halal quality of products
- Halal bones are exported at throw away prices and Haram gelatin is imported at very high rates
- Legal courts ban import of useful products and export of economically viable products
University of Veterinary Innovations and Commercialization (UVIC)
- Integration of the teaching and research with the sectoral issues, emerging challenges and needs of the stakeholders
- Development of QC and certification standards for medium-sized entrepreneurs engaged in livestock and poultry production, processing and marketing; farmers’ groups; exporters and corporate sector
- Establishment and collaboration with reference laboratories for quality control and certification of medium sized entrepreneurs, farmers’ groups, exporters and corporate sector
- Integrating environmental, ethical and public health concerns into the livestock food value chain
- Introducing innovations like biogas, solar water pumps, good practices and traceability in the medium sized livestock and poultry entrepreneurs
- Analyzing financial, technical and marketing issues in livestock and poultry production practice
- Studies on cost-effectiveness of livestock and poultry entrepreneurship
- Creating a database of Corporate and Development Partners of DSPS for horizontal and vertical expansion in livestock and poultry entrepreneurship
- Analysis of issues faced by livestock and poultry breeding farms in partnership with the public or private organizations/individuals
- Studies on infrastructure availability for, milk/meat/eggs factories, cold chain, transportation, cold storage and air cargo for Halal meat
- Studies on legislative barriers faced by the producers, service providers and consumers of livestock and poultry products
- Studies on the status and identifying success stories in financing of livestock and poultry entrepreneurship under the Islamic perspectives
- Monitoring and facilitating the developments made under the Dairy Science Park through local government and other sponsors
Animal Science Park
Principles for the Board of Directors
- ASP Board will be established as a symbol of hope for the people of the Region.
- The Board will ensure productive utilization of the human resource and material assets through partnership with the public and private sector organizations and individuals.
- The Board will be a regulatory, financial, development and marketing authority supporting commercialization of livestock and allied sectors in KP.
- The Board will work on the basis of self reliance and no repeated funds will be requested for routine operational activities; however, for introduction of special packages and campaigns grants and donations will be accepted.
- Selection and promotion of staff and fixation of salary will be made on performance basis.
- Sales and purchases will be made through local committees and advertisements in the printed and electronic media; local and international; and quality of materials will be preferred for purchases.
- Performance audits will be preferred over fiscal audit and liberty will be provided to local committees in financial transactions to avoid unnecessary delays.
- Endowment Fund will be utilized up to maximum to support establishment of new entrepreneurs, improvement of existing entrepreneurs, establishment of common facilities centers and launching of feasible and innovative investment models.
- Information Technologies, business administration, material engineering; environment sciences, satellite information system, etc, will be integrated into the Board’s functioning using the national and international linkages.
- Technical, administrative and financial progress of the Board will be reported monthly and a toll free telephone number will be publicized widely to get advice and inputs from the masses and complaints for any irregularity, for the purpose of transparency and accountability.
- Members and staff of the Board will work like a family with equal respect and working space for all.
- Awareness campaigns will be held widely to reach the target groups and get them engaged with Dairy Science Park network for participating in the provincial development agenda.
Institutional and policy reforms
- Task Force on DSP approved by GoKP
- President KPCCI briefed on DSP
- Livestock Policy for KP Finalized
- Governor Baluchistan endorsed DSP
- Policy Reforms resisted